- I left my country because something pushed me to study in French and I wanted to be closer to the mountains. My studies lasted longer than presumed because I was spending more time in the mountains than in school.
Being a mom of two and part-time dentist doesn’t stop Minna from using the full potential of her beautiful surroundings.
- Typically my evenings are spent making plans for the following day with my friends. We study the weather forecast and the previous conditions and I prepare my backpack. In Chamonix valley we usually take the first bin to quickly gain height and then skin and climb for some Couloir or mountain face skiing. On a powder or whiteout day, I prefer to take advantage of the lift system that takes you to amazing places and makes lapping on long runs possible.
There’s no doubt that the mountains are a powerful element in Minna’s life; both as an inspiration and driving force but also as guideline and element that need the most utter respect if using them as your playground.
- The mountain must be the element that one respects the most when making decisions. The conditions are variable and ephemeral; same place on a different day might require a complete other attitude. My motto is to consider a place each time like if I was there for the first time, even if I know it by heart.
In ten years Minna is hoping to do the same things as now.
- As my friend says, a good skier is an old skier... Maybe I would need to adapt the practice but at least there is no chronometer at the bottom of a mountain run!
Even though Minna has a little crush on adrenaline, our lady from Finland emphasize the importance of having fun – sport is not just about pushing limits.
- Days when the mountain is shared between friends with big smiles, nothing beats that. I know that I am doing something bigger when at night I have hard time sleeping.
Name: Minna Riihimaki
Hometown: Chamonix, France
Favorite place: Mont Blanc mountain range, Dolomites, Norway
Favorite products: lofoten; it really corresponds perfectly to the kind of practice I do on mountains. I feel like I can rely on every product to get the maximum protection and comfort for minimum weight. The lofoten range is solid, simple and stylish.